- at 1:00 pm #25966
What is telehealth and telenutrition?
Telehealth, is the use of electronic tools to provide care remotely. It offers registered dietitians (RDs) the unique ability to provide clients long-distance nutrition care. Telenutrition is the term used for providing nutritional care virtually.
However, there are challenges that come with starting a telehealth practice, including wide variations in the rules, regulations, and practice guidelines surrounding telehealth.
This forum is a place for registered dietitians to seek out and to share resources and practical advice on getting started with telehealth, as well as risk management strategies to ensure better patient care and avoid malpractice litigation or licensing issues. Due to the every changing laws and requirements surrounding telehealth, we’ve created this living forum to provide the most up-to-date information. Subscribers can ask questions and provide responses or resources for the benefit of the forum community.
We’ve organized our Healthie Telehealth Forum into several TOPICS. If you have a question, make sure to post it within the most relevant topic thread. Due to telehealth requirements and insurance reimbursement being specific to individual states, we’ve organized topic threads by state.
How to get Started with Telehealth
Consider the following:
- The clinical services you plan to offer virtually
- The technology tools that will meet the demographic, clinical, and business need for the services you plan to provide
- How you will schedule your clients
- Who is available to help with troubleshooting technical difficulties
- The federal laws surrounding telehealth
- The state laws surrounding telehealth where you plan to practice
- The insurance provider that will offer the best defined and most thoughtful telemedicine malpractice coverage
- The insurance reimbursements available to telehealth clients and practitioners
- How will you market your service
Hardware To Consider:
- A computer and / or mobile device: desktop or laptop computer, tablet, smartphone
- An integrated or external microphone
- A headset
- An integrated or external camera
Software To Consider:
- HIPAA compliant messaging and video conference software
- HIPAA compliant Electronic Medical Record keeping system
Healthie is an all-in-one practice management that provides the business, charting and telehealth tools you need to run your nutrition practice.
Here are some articles to get you started with telehealth services: