When starting a private practice, finding your first clients can be a challenge. This is an endeavor of any new business both in and outside of the dietetic community. Here are some tips to getting that first foot in the door:
- Start with family or friends. Have them send out emails to let your community know effectively, you’re open for business. Be sure to include your qualifications, your approach to care, and even a link to your website. Remember to add your contact info!
- Reach out to local physicians. Go to local medical offices and meet with the physicians in your community. Be sure to bring a business card so they know what information to pass on.
- Hit the gym. Introduce yourself to neighborhood gym managers as well as personal trainers. As we know, exercise and nutrition go together, though many people seeing personal trainers might not have considered seeing a nutritionist yet.
- Offer promotion codes. Consider offering 10% or 25% off your services to a first few clients. Everyone loves a good deal. The right price might be the solution to attracting a cost-minded client.
- Attend community events. Becoming a part of the community will help get your name out there and attract clients. Try to seek out food-focused events and see how you might be able to get involved. Setting up a table at the next farmer’s market might be just what you need to meet your first clients.
The first few clients are the hardest – but hard work, determination, and patience will do more than you think. If you have any questions or want some recommendations, please reach out to us, we love hearing from you!