Are you looking to build your own website as a way to promote your private practice and brand, but don’t really know where to start? Or, are you excited about re-designing and upgrading the website you’ve had for years? If the answer to either of these is yes, read on for some great tips on building a website!
These days, your website is your first impression. Having a strong one can woo a prospective client, and having an outdated or unappealing one can quickly turn someone away. The good news is that these days, building or upgrading your website design is easier and faster than ever.
Here are three website builders that are “easy enough” to figure out, even for a newbie. We suggest blocking off a few hours, grabbing a glass of vino (or coconut water =)) and getting to work. Many of them offer high levels of customer support if you pick a premium plan.
- SquareSpace: Beautiful, simple, and sleek layouts for you to easily customize and adopt
- Weebly: Very similar to SquareSpace, Home of the “drag and drop” approach to website creation
- WordPress: The “Original” website builder with the largest selection of templates & design options to choose from
And lastly, here are some quick tips on design and layout:
- Less is more. Long gone are the days when prospective clients will spend hours perusing a single website. The average consuming spends just a few minutes perusing a website before making a purchasing decision, or moving onto the next one. So, your website should reflect this. Simplify your language, take out the unnecessary clutter. Use engaging and compelling words to describe your background and your approach.
- Showcase a consistent brand and message. We’ll post more on this later, but thinking through your specialties, your areas of expertise, the population and demographics you’ll be working with is incredibly important when building a website. This will directly impact layouts you choose, colors you decide on, and details all the way down to the size of font you use on intake forms. Planning in advance can save you time and work down the road.
- Make it easy for a prospective client to contact you. Showcase your e-mail address or phone number prominently, make it easy for someone to sign up for your newsletter. Put it on the home page, as well as several other places throughout your website!
By the way, the Healthie team has more than a few pros who have built some great websites, using these builder tools and also from scratch. Feel free to reach out to us anytime (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to bounce ideas off of one of our experts, or want examples of nutrition / private practice websites we’ve found particularly cool. We’re happy to help you out!
Looking for some help with your own nutrition practice website? Check out our friend, Mike Wilner at Compass. Mike is an expert on online marketing and can help you take your practice’s website to the next level!